Current:Home > NewsAn ancient fresco is among 60 treasures the U.S. is returning to Italy -Capitatum
An ancient fresco is among 60 treasures the U.S. is returning to Italy
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:19:30
ROME — A fresco depicting Hercules and originally from Herculaneum, a city destroyed along with Pompeii by the 79 A.D. eruption of Mount Vesuvius, was back in Italy Monday, along with 59 other ancient pieces illegally trafficked to the United States.
Last summer, U.S. authorities announced that the fresco and dozens of other trafficked objects, which ended up in private collections in the United States, would go back to Italy.
Among the more precious pieces Italian and U.S. officials displayed to journalists in Rome is a B.C. kylix, or shallow two-handled drinking vessel, some 2,600 years old. Also returned is a sculpted marble head, from the 2nd century B.C., depicting the goddess Athena.
Italy said the returned works are worth more than $20 million (18 million euros) overall.
The fresco, done in the classic style of Pompeiian art, depicts Hercules as a child strangling a snake.
The returned pieces had been sold by art dealers, ended up in private U.S. collections and lacked documentation to prove they could be legally brought abroad from Italy.
Under a 1909 Italian law, archaeological objects excavated in Italy cannot leave the country without permission unless they were taken abroad before the law was made.
Among those at Monday's presentation was Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Matthew Bogdanos, chief of that office's unit combatting illicit trafficking in antiquities. On this investigation, his office worked jointly with a specialized art squad branch of Italy's paramilitary Carabinieri.
"For Italian antiquities alone we have executed 75 raids, recovered more than 500 priceless treasures valued at more than $55 million,'' Bogdanos said.
Italy has been a pioneer in retrieving illegally exported antiquities from museums and private collections abroad.
The country has been so successful in recovering such ancient artworks and artifacts that it created a museum for them. The Museum of Rescued Art was inaugurated in June in a cavernous structure that is part of Rome's ancient Baths of Diocletian.
Italian cultural authorities are deciding whether to assign the latest returned pieces to museums near to where they were believed to have been excavated. Culture Minister Gennaro Sangiuliano told reporters that another possibility is having a special exhibition of the returned pieces.
It's not only Italy that loses pieces of its own history when artifacts are discovered in clandestine excavations and smuggled off to art dealers for profitable sales. Academic experts, deprived of valuable information about the context of the area where the objects were originally found, lose out on knowledge about past civilizations.
veryGood! (69)
Related
- New Orleans mayor’s former bodyguard making first court appearance after July indictment
- Riley Strain: Preliminary autopsy results reveal death to be 'accidental,' police say
- MLB pitcher Dennis Eckersley’s daughter reunited with her son after giving birth in woods in 2022
- Find Out How You Can Get Up To 85% Off These Trendy Michael Kors Bags
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Dark circles under your eyes? Here's how to get rid of them
- Mindy Kaling Responds to Rumors She and B.J. Novak Had a Falling Out
- Meet the Country Music Legend Joining The Voice as Season 25 Mega Mentor
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Former House Speaker Kevin McCarthy: Do not be fearful of a motion to vacate
Ranking
- Shilo Sanders' bankruptcy case reaches 'impasse' over NIL information for CU star
- Sacha Baron Cohen Reacts to Rebel Wilson Calling Him an “A--hole” in New Memoir
- Connecticut starting March Madness repeat bid in dominant form should scare rest of field
- Sacha Baron Cohen Reacts to Rebel Wilson Calling Him an “A--hole” in New Memoir
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Northeast U.S. pummeled with a mix of wind, rain, sleet and heavy snow on first weekend of spring
- Spurs rookie sensation sidelined for at least one game with sprained ankle
- Guns and sneakers were seized from a man accused of killing a pregnant Amish woman, police say
Recommendation
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
Maine fishermen caught more fish in 2023, thanks to a hunger relief program and COVID funds
18 dead frozen puppies discovered in Oregon home were meant as snake food, officials say
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Use the Force
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Energy agency announces $6 billion to slash emissions in industrial facilities
Maine fishermen caught more fish in 2023, thanks to a hunger relief program and COVID funds
From 'Fallout' to 'Bridgerton,' these are the TV shows really worth watching this spring